We have advice for each month with a handy list of jobs to do in the garden. And remember, if you don’t feel like working in the garden you’re always welcome at Bumbles to see what’s going on here!
In the garden this month…
In February, if the days be clear,
The waking bee, still drowsy on the wing,
Will sense the opening of another year,
And blunder out to seek another spring
– Vita Sackville West
February can bring some dry bright sunny days for the keen gardener but it’s still usually very cold so not much will be growing now. Nevertheless there is still plenty to do in the garden to make sure you are ahead of the game when the warmer weather arrives.
February’s garden task list:
- Stake any plants which might get damaged by prolonged snow falls or gales
- Clear away dead leaves from borders (they’ll harbour slugs and snails)
- Clear borders and lawns of fallen leaves and fallen fruit
- Repair broken lawn edges. Use “plant-any-time” seeds on bare patches
- Ventilate the Greenhouse on warmer days. Give it a spring clean too!
- Recycle Christmas Trees
- Order early seed potatoes
- Rough dig fallow areas. The frosts will help break down the soil and improve it for the spring
- Plant new fruit trees and bushes, new roses etc
- Trim woody hardy perennials back and replace any weak/old ones
- Keep bird feeders stocked. A variety of foods will attract a variety of birds
- Make sure you have fresh water available for the wildlife, especially in icy weather